How Many Times?
We are often asked about the on/off performance of our electrodes. The answer is very simple: The durability of our electrodes depends entirely on the application, storage and care on the part of the user.
Application: Before each electrode application, skin must be cleaned with water and soap to remove any lotions, skin oils, make-up and dead skin. Any debris on the skin will be transferred to the gel of the electrode thereby compromising the integrity of the gel’s adhesiveness. Therefore, a clean surface is the most important factor in the number of applications for an electrode.
Storage: After every use the electrode must be returned to the “ON” side of the Mylar liner, and placed in the original, re-sealable package to prevent loss of moisture. The electrodes should be stored at a temperature that would be comfortable for a human being, or somewhere between 41.0° and 80.6° F.
DO NOT: Store in freezer/refrigerator, leave in extreme heat, submerge in water, or leave outside of the package. Care: After usage, if the electrode picks up small amounts of debris you may use a drop of water on your finger to gently rub the debris off the electrode. Most important to the care of the electrode is applying it to a clean surface with each use.
DO NOT: use soap, alcohol, submerge in water, or scrub with abrasive material. The number of applications depends entirely on the proper application, storage and care by the user. The durability of the electrodes depends on the adhesiveness of the gel and its adhesiveness depends on keeping the gel clean, hydrated and free from foreign debris.
Single Patient Use
For proper hygiene, our electrodes are intended for single patient use only. By sharing electrodes, you are subjected to cross contamination. All of our adhesive electrodes are disposable and should be discarded if compromised and a fresh set used.
We design our products for reuse providing there is proper care of the skin and the electrodes. However with reuse, the risk of contamination increases with each application. Each time an electrode is removed, it lifts off dirt and skin debris, which in turn becomes absorbed into the gel. To maintain optimal hygiene you would want to change electrodes when they become contaminated in this fashion. The pH of our gel is controlled at a level to prevent the spontaneous growth of molds. However, during use in a spore rich environment it is possible to overwhelm this mold growth control feature of our gel.
The definition of hypoallergenic is “less likely to cause an allergic reaction than other comparable goods.” There is no scientific formula to measure or test this; therefore our gel is not labeled as hypoallergenic.
All of our products are latex free. We do not use latex of any kind in the neurostimulation electrodes we manufacture or in the packaging.